Wednesday, September 06, 2006

What it's all about.

Age and wisdom finally teach us what should have been totally obvious to our young selves. Places and things are of no importance in life. People are the only things that really matter. People are, unfortunately, transient, they move on or die, but the love we share with them endures and sustains us. When you get down to it, life is meaningless. It doesn't matter to the universe, but love alone gives life meaning for us mortals. To lose sight of that, is to lose everything.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I'd love to have a pair of grandparents as cool as you and your wife (I can only assume she is cool, too -- sort of like guilt by association, except in a good way.) I don't know who that comedian is, either, by the way, but the fact that you all quote comedians means you're my kind of people.

Thank you so much for what you said -- I really appreciate it, and I love knowing that there are people reading my silly, yet entirely nonfictional, ramblings.

So, should I call you Grandpa Don? Pappy Guitar? Okay, the second one makes you sound like an extra in "Deliverance," so we'll strike that.

The other thing I wanted to say, Grandpa Don, is that I've only just now started looking at your blog, but this one really rings true. It reminded me of a letter to the editor I read a couple of weeks ago written by someone who'd just gotten over some serious illness and was in a rather reflective state. He said that while he was in the hospital, he never once wished for a thing, but only for people.

And I must agree that life is essentially meaningless in the grand scope of the universe. But that doesn't mean it has to be bad. It's nice to know there are other people out there who share this outlook on life.

So, thanks for getting in touch with me, and I'm going to look forward to hearing from you again. :) Tell your family that a possibly crazy woman in Pittsburgh says hello. And before I forget to ask, how'd you come across my blog?